Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trillium Seed Capsules

Posted by ncrescue 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 15:58

Someone just sent me photos of Trillium seed capsules, but they do not include T. sulcatum and T. catsbaei. Does anyone out there have any other photos? I have (one time) grown some from seed and would like to do it again although it is a long process. I may have an opportunity to collect seeds if the critters do not get them first, and I would like to have an idea of what I am getting. All help appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://botgard.bio.uu.nl/spgm-1.4.4/index.php?spgmGal=1_Others&spgmFilters=n&group=Alpine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trillium Seed Capsules

What are you're instructions for growing them from seed?
Nancy

o

I just used the winter sowing method. The seeds were from the NARGS exchange, so although most people say to sow them fresh, I am sure they were harvested in the summer, and I received them the following Feb. They took two seasons to germinate. I kept the container open in the first summer but not did give it any extra water...just had it in a shaded spot. I did the same with Solomon Seal and Arisaema, and they took two years, too. I planted them out the second summer. As I said, slow but easy. No wonder they cost so much!!

o

Case claims, in his reference book on trillium, that green seed will sometimes germinate without going through the winter cold period. He also notes that mature seed germinates the first year but that the growth occurs underground so that the seedlings are not visible. I received T. ovatum seed from another GW member and got a pretty good stand of seedlings after one year but T. albidium did not emerge this spring so it will take the full two years. You may want to consider putting a baggy over ripening seed pods about this time of year to prevent their abcising and being scattered by the ants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here