Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing dandelions-HELP

Posted by coldwheathercrop 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 9, 10 at 17:18

ok, it's absurd, but i really want to grow dandelions in a pot. i took some local soil (which unfortunately is very poor and clay-ish) and im waiting for the soil to warm up a bit. could someone give me some advice or some reason not to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing dandelions-HELP

Not a native plant but considering its ubiquity in lawns I don't see any reason not to. Are you thinking of growing them for food?

Dandelion seed has no dormancy so they will germinate soon after planting. They like soils low in potassium and organic matter and high in nitrogen and phosphorous, and high sunlight. Pretty much the conditions that suit a lawn are perfect.

o

cool. thanks a bunch.

o

To add to what lycopus has said, dig up a small dandelion from your yard and pot it up. Larger plants have too big of a tap root. If kept indoors, I entirely expect the dandelion to die down for winter and not be a year-round grower. As with many herbs, I also expect indoor culture to have too little light for its full sun requirement and so it will languish. Use as deep of a pot as possible.

I would suggest the Herbs forum if you have additional questions on growing dandelions.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here