Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pulled bittersweet--what to do next?

Posted by dr.liz 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 17:22

I I have a small woodsy bed beside my driveway. I estimate it to be about 50' x 100', oval. I spent the last couple of weeks trying to control the European bittersweet, which had gotten to immense proportions. I cut the stems and treated the cut stumps with Roundup. I then removed as much as I could of the ground level vines. The stems were seriously 2 to 3 inches in diameter. I'm sure there will be some resprouting and seedlings coming up, but I will try to stay on top of it going forward.

My question is what to do next with the bed. It is pretty empty at this point. There are still a few non-native things to come out, especially European buckthorn. There are a couple of quite deformed cherry trees (also non-native.) There are a couple of hollies, probably American, about 10 feet tall. The largest trees are two big locusts and a beautiful tulip tree. Still, there is a lot of empty space.

Would it be a good idea to plant some trees at this point? I am afraid of regrowth from the bittersweet and I'm wondering if it might be best to leave it mostly empty for the time being, until I have the invasive species under better control.

I am also not sure what to plant. Oak is the climax forest around here, but it grows pretty slowly. I am 58, and I would like to see something more than a sapling in my lifetime! I also thought of River Birch and red Maple. I live in central New Jersey, and all of those plants are native here. Alternatively, I could just plant some smaller trees like alternate leave dogwood, amelanchier, or some shrubs such as viburnum

Thanks for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pulled bittersweet--what to do next?

If you keep on the bittersweet with Roundup, it should be dead enough by fall to replant.

o
RE: Pulled bittersweet--what to do next?

I'm not so far from you, and most of the cherries that come up here are native. They're aggressive and weedy, but they are native. Are you certain that yours are not? Planting some fast growing trees could be a good start. The ones you've mentioned, plus Cercis, Liriodendron, beech and others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here