Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with new northern bayberrys

Posted by solitude5 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 17:23

I'd like some help deciding what to do with 5 northern bayberry's I planted. They were bare root plants and put in the ground about a month ago. There has been zero growth on them. I don't want to dig them up if they are just taking their time, but it seems unusual that there has been no growth. Is that normal? Thanks for the assistance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with new northern bayberrys

As long as the leaves aren't turning brown they are probably fine. They would probably benefit from frequent watering their first year though.

o

lots is going on underground, roots are growing and getting used to being where they are. and yes, do keep them well watered till established.

o

If it is slow this year, it may also be slow next year, but then it will shoot up. My biggest plant almost got mowed over because it languished for the first 2 years. I have a low tolerance for languishing plants. By languished, I mean that while the others grew a foot and made a dozen small offsets, this one stayed about 6 inches and produced not a single offset. Today, the others are nice clumps, and the languishing one is about 3 ft. tall and this year (5 yr. old) it made a forest of offsets. I just wish I had a male. What are the odds you plant 4 plants and they are all females.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here