Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unidentified Wild Flower

Posted by tn_veggie_gardner 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 18:11

Please excuse me if I seem like a flower newbie, but I am. :) I found the flower below on a trail close to a lake that me & my wife like to take our kids on. Any ideas on what it is? Also, is there someplace on the flower I can get seeds to plant my own? Please let me know. Thanks! - Steve

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unidentified Wild Flower

looks like passion flower (passiflora incarnata)

o

Yes, this is a passionflower, and I think bubbleoffplumb has the species right. This is a native flower that is reasonably common in some places throughout the south. It can grow pretty vigorously, and has the great flowers you phtographed. It also gets fruit, which I think is edible although I have never eaten it myself. It attracts Gulf Fritillary butterflies, which are large and orange, and their caterpillars feed on the passionflower leaves, sometimes stripping the vines.

o

• Posted by soeur z6b TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 12:27

That's the official state vine of Tennessee, by the way. It's much easier to start one from seed and plant it where you want it than to dig up an existing wild one. The plant develops a humongous tap root that's almost impossible to successfully excavate. The fruit ripens over time in late summer and early fall and is edible -- I've eaten 'em. Ripe seeds are black with minute dimples, about the size and general shape of a watermelon seed. The seed needs a cold period to germinate in spring, so the easiest thing is to shallowly bury an overripe fruit in the sunny spot where you want the plant. May have to thin out multiple seedlings.

o

cool...thanks for the info, y'all! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here