Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clumping Goldenrods

Posted by Spicebush 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 19:35

We have a weedy area that is covered with wild asters, goldenrods, blackberries, elderberries, etc and really attracts lots of birds. I love it..but...we have to clear it out because that's where our driveway is going.

My question is which species and cultivars of goldenrod are clumping? I have fought with the spreading kind in my flower beds and I don't want those!

I used to have a goldenrod that I bought called "Laurin" that didn't seem to spread but it apparently died. I have never seen it for sale anywhere since than.

Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clumping Goldenrods

Solidago erecta, Solidago nemoralis, Solidago speciosa, Solidago odora, Solidago sphacelata, Solidago stricta and probably others but those are those ones I know.

o

Might add S. juncea. It forms clumps but can also spread a bit via rhizomes, not as much as say S. canadensis. It flowers a little earlier than the others.

If the site has good drainage S. speciosa combined with S. bicolor could prove interesting and well-behaved. Solidago hispida is similar to S. bicolor but has yellow flowers instead of white. We actually have seaside goldenrod (Solidago sempervirens) naturalizing along roadsides here because of all the salt they put down. Could be an option next to a driveway or sidewalk that gets salt in the winter.

o

Oh, thank you both SO much!! I'll google all those mentioned and see what they look like and find some sources.

Not only do the goldenrods, etc. in my weedy patch attract seed eaters but they attract warblers during the fall migration. Apparently they have lots of insects on them!

Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here