Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bob64 - Brush Fence along property lines

Posted by cynandjon 5-6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 19:37

Ive seen the willow fences your referring to and they are awesome but our fence isnt anything that fancy. (The coolest fences are made with green wood so they are flexible and can be bent) Its in the woods where not to many people see it. First we made a pile of large branches then put both vertical and hortizontal branches and interlock them the best we can. We use whatever falls to the ground. Its not organized, but its effective. especially with Hawthorne and hemlock branches. Trying to get through the fence is umm..... painful. LOL
What kind of native vines would you suggest? Some areas are heavily shaded. I dont really care if they bloom or not. I would love to plant something on the fence. How about virgina creeper?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bob64 - Brush Fence along property lines

I would think twice about introducing Virginia Creeper into your woods. You don't want that to get started. It will spread quickly and climb everything besides your fence and if not kept in check you may never get rid of it.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for something else.

o

Hi Schoolhouse
Virgina creeper is native and is recommened because the birds,fox,rabbits,skunks deer,mice,catepillars etc. eat the berries.
Maybe your confusing it with something else? I personally never found virgina creeper to be a problem. It has grown in my woods as long as I can remember.
This link shows how important Virginia creeper is to wildlife. Scroll down to vines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native virginia creeper

o

Well, I don't have it in a woods, it's in my flower gardens and orchard, all along the property line between the neighbor' s field and my lawn. Yes, I know birds eat the berries, I suspect that's how most of it ended up where it is (besides the runners). Maybe it's not a problem where you live, and if Virgnia Creeper is already in your woods, I bet it'll find your fence in no time. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Your fence sounds great, I enjoy the natural look of branch-work (I made that term up! ha.)

o

Hey, I just got back from Florida (where I have no clue what is or is not native - I just had to look and say "aint that pretty"). Your fence sounds good and if it keeps the deer out then it will be a great addition. Virginia Creeper sounds like a great choice. I haven't had much trouble with it but you probably would not want it right next to a flower bed. Poison ivy is native too but .... you know. There is also a native trumpet vine (supposed to be aggressive), a native wisteria, some native honeysuckles (which I can't tell apart from the invasive honeysuckle vine very easily), a native clematis, a native form of hop vine and some others I'm not remembering. The problem with many native vines is that many have non-native look alikes so you would have to know and trust your source and do a little research. So far I have done very little planting of vines so I am more full of ideas than practical advice.

o

hey bob
LOL I actually do have a flower bed where the Virginia creeper was there first. hmm I never heard of native wisteria. Ill have to look into that. Thanks Ill look into those. Not sure if PA has them but Ill find out.
Im still fighting the garlic mustard and stilt grass war. They are Much more of a problem then virginia creeper by a long shot.

o

I forgot to mention that I'm not sure about the light requirements of some of these vines. I have some native trumpet vine in an area with "part sun" that continues to chug along after 2 or 3 years but has not yet flowered -- other GW posts suggest that is not uncommon. The trumpet vine is supposed to be hard to get rid of if you should ever change your mind. Some sort of thicketing, thorny shrub might also work as a barrier; like blackberries or whatever. The concern with that would be preventing them from spreading.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Wisteria

o

Along the property line most is pretty heavily shaded. I do have one side that gets sun. Wisteria would be perfect. Ill have to find out where to aquire the native variety.
thanks bob.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here