Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What berry tree is this?

Posted by ohitsallama GA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 08 at 20:40

There is a small tree growing in my yard that produces these red berries. They have sort of a speckled/frosted look to them. It is fruiting right now. Can anyone tell me what it is? I have provided a link below to a photo.

The birds love it. (mockingbirds, robins, and cardinals... even squirrels seem to like the fruit.

http://www.geocities.com/ohitsallama/berry1.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of the fruit tree in question

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What berry tree is this?

Autumn Olive or Elaeagnus umbellata an introduced Asian weed. We see them by the zillions in abandoned lots, trash heaps and waste areas.
Sam

o

Thanks very much. I read that it is considered invasive. I rent and found it in my yard this summer in a somewhat forgotten corner. Would you recommend getting rid of it?? It's not really my property per say.... is it really harmful or just adaptable?

o

Autumn Olvie if you ask me. First, eat the berries (after positive identification). Then get rid of it. They taste quite good, especially baked with pork chops and apples!

o

Autumn Olive, and the related Russian Olive, are both very invasive. If you have one in the yard there are probably thousands of others in the area. That means that removing your one bush wouldn't make a whole lot of difference and might not be worth the hassle since you don't own the yard. On the other hand, one bush is a small step in the right direction, and if I was you I'd remove it. It almost certainly grew there on its own so the owner won't mind or even realize it is gone. the berries are edible and sort of tasty. i think they are better later in the year, even after the first frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here