Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
South Georgia Question

Posted by phinely 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 08 at 20:43

I am relaying what my mom has told me. She wants the name of a bush. I'm searching to find the name of the bush from what she has told me about it. She grew up in the Western part of South Georgia as a Share Croppers Daughter. Her mom was given a bush. She remembers this bush because it had a very nice fragrance. (And it was not a Lilac) She said share croppers would plant these at home steads and leave them. The bush has a burgundy brownish bloom. The blooms look like the honeysuckle bloom and it covers the whole bush profusely. She said that they would get a hanky and fill it full of these blooms and carry it in their pockets all day. This was a special treat for their girlfriends when they came to their house for a visit. Mom has tried to think of the name of the bush. Do any of you know the name of this type of bush? Hopefully when you say it, it will jog my mom's memory. I am going to have to jot this down in the journal I have been keeping about my mom.

Thanks,
Paula

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: South Georgia Question

The first one that comes to mind when you say "burgundy brownish" bloom is Calycanthus floridus. There are a lot of common names for this plant: Sweetshrub, Carolina allspice, sweet bubby bush, to name a few.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweetshrub

o
RE: South Georgia Question

yeah maybe sweet shrub

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here