Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Year Echinacea from Seed Looks Like a Weed

Posted by SeedyGuy pa (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 20:51

Hi,

I planted some Echinacea seeds I bought at the store, and up came some plants right where I planted them, but the plants look like weeds, not like the other Echi's I already have growing. After the weedlike plants came up, some echi-like leaves popped out of the ground about an inch away from the weed shaft! I am hoping the weedlike thing is really a first-year Echi, and the leaves at the bottom are Echi leaves that will grow into a normal Echi plant.

It is supposed to be a Purple Coneflower, btw.

Any clues welcome !!!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Year Echinacea from Seed Looks Like a Weed

I should add that the "weed" looking plants are just one stalk, about 3 or 4 feet tall, with lots of thin spear shaped leaves coming out horizontally.

o

Please share a picture. It will help us immensely to answer!

FataMorgana

o

OK, thanks for responding! Here are some pics. I know it looks like 3 big weeds, but they are growing right where I planted the echinacea seeds. There are 2 echinacea plants at the base of 2 of the weeds. Each echi plant pops out about 1 inch away from the "weed", so it seems like the weed is the feeder plant, and the echinaceas are propagating from the roots of the feeder plant (weed).

In other words, it seems like the echinacea seed grows into the weed-like plant, but sends of real echinacea roots which grow into real echinacea. Or else, it is just a coincidence that weeds grew up right next to my echinacea seeds !!

o

Another pic.

o

And one last pic, which is of some of my regular echinaceas.

o

That's horseweed, or mare's tail.

o

Thanks. So it's a weed, eh? Well I guess I'll pull them out. Strange coincidence about the weeds growing right next to the echinaceas. Oh well.

Thanks again.

o

your 'regular' echinacea is the species known colloquially as purple coneflower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here