Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forty + Liatris aspera die suddenly in sand site

Posted by plez SW MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 21:00

This happened in May/June of this year on the edge of a 240 acre savanna/prairie restoration in SW Michigan. The plants came up this spring then disappeared without a trace. Ideas? A L. aspera colony of perhaps 100 plants only 50 feet away, but across a single lane gravel road, is doing fine. Mole predation? Soil conditions? Karma? God's will?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forty + Liatris aspera die suddenly in sand site

Definitely not moles. Moles don't eat plants. They're insectivores and eat only soil insects and earthworms.

o

It would have been a good idea to look in the earth there to see if the corms had rotted or were eaten. Voles eat plants and rabbits really love Liatris. They defoliated mine some years ago to the point it died.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liatris pests

o

You may have meant voles, voles can wipe out your plants. They just eat the roots away and when you go to check your ailing plant it come right up in your hand, which is agood sign of them.
Now could it be something else? could a weed killer or other toxic substance gotten blown through there? This happened to me, my neighbor powerwashed his house with chemicles and killed 18 years with of gardening in 2 weeks time. In this case leaves will curl up and turn brown like in weed killer.

There are several reasons it could've happened. Inspect the damage and contact your county ag extension, they might could tell you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here