Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID and care

Posted by diy_rook MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 21:05

Hello, Could someone please tell me what this is and if there is anything I could do at this point to trim it way down so it isn't so tall. It looks very odd and out of place being this tall and skinny. I'm thinking my only option is to cut it down.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID and care

A close up of a leaf would help. Are you sure it is not a tree with a vine rather than just a single plant?

o

Sure thing - here is a closeup od a leaf. It isn't a vine and it appears to be one tree with branches that droop in a major way.

o

Here is a better pic of the tree as well.

o

Copper Beech, Fagus sylvatica, some form of a weeping fastigate variety? BTW, not native to North America.

This post was edited by Dzitmoidonc on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 18:07

o

And here I was thinking it was bigfoot

o

That's it! Thanks a lot. Now - what to do with it....

o

Topping the tree is a good way to ruin it. Perhaps you can change your own mindset and learn to appreciate the growth form, which is completely normal for this type of tree. It can be a hard lesson for some gardeners to learn-that sometimes the best thing to do is nothing. Meanwhile, the plant can continue to grow and develop. It's not going to remain exactly as you see it now.

+oM

o

I decided to leave it alone after identifying what it is. Now that I know it is supposed to look like that, I'm ok with it. Thanks for the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here