Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Goosefoot Leaves Red Underneath?

Posted by at_walker 3 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 21:19

Every reference I have seen to goosefoot - specifically lambsquarters (Chenopodium album) - refers to the underside of the leaves being "whitish".

I have many plants in my garden that appear to be lambsquarters. The leaf shape is distinct, isn't it? Lobed except near the tip? I have field guides and have checked some Web sources and the leaf shape looks like a match.

However, when the leaf is turned over to expose the underside, "whitish" is not the first word that comes to mind. "Red" is. Maybe a whitish haze over the red, but most definitely, these leaves are green on top and red underneath.

It is early in the season (July 4, 2008). Perhaps this is a feature that fades with maturity? Am I looking at Lambsquarters or something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Goosefoot Leaves Red Underneath?

I have seen a LOT of Lambsquarters in my yard (I finally started eating them and they are way better than spinach!) and yes, I frequently see a dark red on leaves, ussually toward the stem, and the stems a deep maroon. As I recall, they are usually the smaller plants, so you are probably right about the maturity.

o
Oops, forgot to mention....

...it's NOT native, just in case you posted here because you thought it was. A plant that makes itself at home wherever it goes!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here