Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steep slope, sandy soil , part shade

Posted by carol23 z7NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 21:22

I've been volunteering at a public garden with a woodland area designated exclusively for native plants. Some areas have sandy soil. What could be planted on a slope to stop erosion and hold the soil? Are there Pycnanthemum that would grow with minimal direct sunlight and mostly shade? Any thoughts? Plants growing there now include Virginia creeper. There are also oxeye daisies and Commelina which need to be removed but not before we have a replacement. Would Chrysogonum work?

I donated Lobelia cardinalis for an area that is not on a slope and is in sun and they do not seem to like the sandy soil.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steep slope, sandy soil , part shade

Carex pensylvanica will probably do what you want. There are also more bunching sedges like C. radiata, C. rosea, and C. appalachica that could be used to help hold soil. Then you could mix in forbs that like sandy soil and part shade such as lupines.

o

Thank you for the suggestion. I have emailed the person in charge so we can begin to search for a plant source.
I've seen plants in a very sandy ( white sand) area of PA but most was in full sun and there were many blueberries, Kalmia and some Viola pedata. It was part of the state game lands.

I would like to know if there is a list of shade tolerant natives that like sandy soil.

o

Don't know of such a list but going through some photos taken on some old dunes in IL (sandy soil in shade) I came up with the following that might work (pardon any spelling errors):

Geranium maculatum
Viola pubescens
Podophyllum peltatum
Maianthemum canadense
Maianthemum stellatum
Anemone cylindrica
Lithospermum canescens
Viola sororia
Smilax ecirrhata
Pedicularis canadensis
Viola sagittata
Phlox pilosa
Fragaria virginiana
Viola pedatifida
Viola pedata
Zizea aurea
Osmorhiza longistylis
Lupinus perennis
Anemone canadensis
Allium canadense
Coreopsis lanceolata
Tradescantia ohioensis
Oxalis violacea
Campanulastrum americanum

Then some from the pine barrens of new jersey

Kalmia latifolia
Vaccinium angustifolium
Vaccinium pallidum
Gaultheria procumens
Comptonia perigrina
Helianthemum canadense
Leucothoe racemosa
Pteridium aquilinum

o

Thank you so much! That is an extensive list.
I love Comptonia and that would do well on the sunny side of that bank.
We have Viola pedata in the sandy area with sun. The steep slope bank is beyond that area.

I like the idea of Maianthemum , too, as well as many others.
That list will surely fill a lot of holes and make for a much more interesting planting. Further down the bank in the shade are some ferns growing by large rocks.

Your having observed so many plants in their native habitats is so helpful!
I am grateful for your experience and the time you spent helping me. ( and our public garden)

Carol

o

interesting thread!

re Lobelia cardinalis...it is native where i live (Ozarks) and can be found in part shade to sun exposures on bottom areas where the soil is a bit richer, more organic matter so holds moisture...it also grows along stream banks in half sun.

the combo of sun and sandy soil is probably way too dry for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here