Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mountain mints are REALLY easy to root....

Posted by frillycarnations (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 21:22

in case anyone was wondering...... I rooted some in water and replanted out in ground. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mountain mints are REALLY easy to root....

Thanks for posting the tip! I failed in an attempt to grow mountain mint from seed this spring, so it's nice to have another option.

o

How are mountain mints different from regular mints?

o

I just pull some out of the ground and stick it in someplace else. Actually, it's becoming a tad bit invasive, P. muticum, that is. The other one, I think it's P. tenuifolum, is less invasive.

o

Catfisham wrote:
How are mountain mints different from regular mints?

Catfisham:

Mountain mints are related to regular mints, but are in a separate genus and are not, as far as I know, used for flavoring foods, at least not very widely used. The mint family includes many genera including the mints used for flavoring (mostly in genus Mentha), bee balms (genus Monarda), and Mountain Mints (genus Pycnanthemum). If you have grown any mint such as Spearmint (Mentha spicata) you would recognize Mountain mints as close relatives. Mountain Mints have herby or minty smell to the leaves and spread like garden mints, although not quite as rapidly as some. There are a number of species native to the eastern US (PA has about 8), most of which grow pretty easily in the garden or meadow. They aren't spectacular in flower like bee balms, but are easy, attractive, and native, so they are pretty popular with wildflower gardeners.

o

catfishsam,

Mountain mints are not as agressive, attract butterflies, and often have attractive white or silvery pubescent foliage. Best of all, same minty flavor and makes good tea (should be avoided though if pregnant).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here