Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Off topic Alert to the Plight of the Monarch Butterfly

Posted by docmom z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 21:38

Because of a combination of bad luck, drought, development of subdivisions, and the near eradication of milkweed plants in the agricultural regions with Round-Up ready crops, the incredible Monarch butterfly has declined dramatically in just the past year. There were about one third the number of butterflies overwintering last season as there had been just one year earlier.
But, we can pull them back from the brink by simply planting milkweed, which the baby caterpillars need to eat, and planting flowers that can provide nectar to support them on their long flight to Mexico in the fall and then back north in the spring.

For more information, visit Monarch Watch to learn more about where you can purchase milkweed plants or seeds, and which are the best nectar plants (including many annuals). Thanks for your attention to this critical issue. Together we can have a huge impact.

Martha

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Watch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Off topic Alert to the Plight of the Monarch Butterfly

Thank you for sharing. I, too, have been watching the population decline through participation (by monitoring and reporting local conditions) in the Monarch Larvae Monitoring Project out of University of Minnesota. (www.mlmp.org)

Unfortunately, this decline is not confined to monarchs, but is affecting many other pollinators as well: the honeybee (brought to the new world by European settlers) and many species of our native bees, bumblebees having been hit very hard in many regions.

A major portion of our food supply is directly or indirectly dependent upon insect pollinators. As Professor Doug Tallamy says, we need to support the biodiversity that supports us.

Another great resource on pollinator conservation is the Xerces Society (www.xerces.org).

1. For food sources, choose plants to provide as long a season of growth and bloom as possible (native plants are best as they co-evolved with our other native species).

2. Don't forget some water - a saucer filled with pebbles and water will do (and male butterflies need the minerals found in mud puddles in order to reproduce).

3. Reduce or eliminate the use of pesticides.

4. Consider providing the shelter of a small brush pile, nesting bundle or, more elaborate, an "insect hotel" ... I'm going to let you all do your own search on that phrase.

5. Allow some of your herbs and veggies go to flower and set seed - you'll find them less desirable for culinary purposes, but beneficial insects will love the nectar and birds will enjoy the seed. Instead of deadheading all your plants, towards the end of the season allow some seed heads to remain for the birds - goldfinches love seeds of the purple coneflower, others go for rose hips.

o
RE: Off topic Alert to the Plight of the Monarch Butterfly

We have a large property in woods and field and I'm happy to say that we have a bunch of milkweed growing. Last year, I took seeds from a couple plants, and threw them all over the property. I'm just now seeing an occasional monarch. I think the whole butterfly population is slow this year. But I think its really starting to pick up.

I let some grow up in the corner of my garden, and some of it is like 8' tall now! haha I didn't know it could grow so tall.
I'm keeping my eye on it and hoping for some eggs soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here