SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alenka_gw

dirca palustris (leatherwood) leaf drop

alenka
15 years ago

I have a small leatherwod shrub (dirca palustris) -- it's about a foot and a half tall. It hasn't grown much in a year since I planted it (which, I assume, is normal for this plant, since it's supposed to be very slow-growing?), but it was always looking healthy. But now all of a sudden most of the leaves dried up and fell off -- just 2 days ago it looked perfectly fine. The leaves didn't turn yellow -- just shriveled up as they were, green. We are having rather nasty hot weather right now (low to mid 90s, very little rain -- it could be worse certainly, but still...), so I'm guessing that's the reason. Am I right in my guess, or does it sound like a disease or a pest? if it's heat/drought, is the plant likely to recover?

Also, how much water does this plant need? It's planted in shade; the soil is on the clay side but not too bad, and I was watering it thoroughly once every 2 weeks since the hot weather started. Judging by the results, this was insufficient, but how much water did this plant really want? Once a week watering maybe? I really didn't expect this, since the plant did wonderfully through the heat of last summer, and, well, it's quite sad, it's a wonderful little plant. I'll appreciate any opinion or advice! Thank you!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz