Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant ID - type of Hypericum

Posted by mudsnake 8B (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 0:52

I know that this plant is a St. John's Wort, in the genus Hypericum, but I do not know the species. It grows wild here in North Florida.

Here is a link to some photos. To enlarge a photo, click on it.

http://apalacheehills.com/Plantweb2/StJohnsWort.html

Can anyone identify this?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant ID - type of Hypericum

Check out the link below and scan down to the maps and check out by clicking on the map of those species that are shaded for Florida-really quite a few.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Hypericums of USA

o

Note that not all of the plants on the link to USDA are native, the blue shading indicates native. For example, Hypericum perforatum is not native (but luckily I don't think that is what you have based on the flower).

o

Happily I stumbled across this plant while looking for other opposite leaf yellow flowering plants. I think it may be your plant!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ascyrum hypericoides

o

Carol23, thanks for the link. That looks very much like my plant. My plant is 3 to 4 feet tall, and Ascyrum hypercoides gets to be about 18 inches tall. However, it might get taller in North Florida.

Also, thanks to terrestial_man for the link to the Hypericum page at USDA, and the tip from esh_ga.

o

There is another 4-petaled Hypericum species, along with St. Andrew's Cross, that is native to FL.
You will probably need to examine plant habit, stature, foliage and bark, to determine which one you have.

Hypericum tetrapetalum
Rb

o

• Posted by soeur z6b TN (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 13:47

Perhaps it behaves differently in FL, but Hypericum hypericoides grows 3-3.5 feet tall here in Tennessee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here