Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Was Beebalm Photo help

Posted by anita55 zone 6 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 7:42

Photobucket

This is the beebalm 2 summers ago. this year the pink one grew tall but had poor blooms. the only thing I do every year is thin them to promote air circulation. Is there anything else I can do to encourage better blooms, especially on the pink one? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Was Beebalm Photo help

I'm not sure where you are in NY State, but here in Western NY State we had an unusually long period of no rain this summer. All plants suffered from agricultural crops to people's gardens. And while you can water things, it's never quite the same as real rain.

Many of my plants - even well-established perennials, trees, and shrubs, suffered. Blooms were poor this summer. In speaking with a lady who owns a local native plant nursery, she expressed concern about getting seed from the plants this summer because of poor blooms.

My bee balm suffered badly in the heat and dryness and I have it in partial shade which I find it really enjoys. I would wait and see what your bee balm performs like next year before really worrying that it is ill-performing.

FataMorgana

o

Hello and thanks for the reply. I live in the lower hudson valley region and we have had plenty of rain this summer. in fact, this is the first time in years that we haven't had water restrictions in our town. So I don't think that's it.

o

Has anyone ever tried pinching beebalm to get more blooms per stalk? I know that works with some perennials, wasn't sure about Monarda.

Are you sure the pink one is getting enough sun? Have the trees behind it grown so much that they are shading it more now?

o

Do you think they are lacking some nutrient? Perhaps it would help to top dress with some compost. Compost makes everything grow better! I also mulch with lots of organic matter, such as leaves, compost and straw, which seems to ensure a steady supply of nutrients. I am growing Monarda didyma in the hummingbird garden where they are doing fabulous in partial shade with rich moist soil,

In June I trim many perennials to make them bushier, and less floppy, and usually trim about half the stalks of the Monardas. This makes some of the stalks have more (and smaller) blooms, which bloom a bit later. This seems to extend the bloom period a bit.

o

Your monarda looks GREAT if you ask me.. Mine got the dreaded powdery mildew so I chopped it down. I was just thinking of giving it the old heave ho. What variety is the pink one? I have marshall's delight and one other and they are both a mess

o

Don't forget the golden rule regarding perennials, "First year the sleep, second year they creep, 3rd year they leap." I'm with those who think it looks great!

o

The original post says that is a picture from two YEARS ago and that it doesn't look that good now.

This is the beebalm 2 summers ago. this year the pink one grew tall but had poor blooms. the only thing I do every year is thin them to promote air circulation. Is there anything else I can do to encourage better blooms, especially on the pink one? Thanks.

o
Beebalm

Yes this is an old photo, I thought it would be useful in identifying the variety of beebalm in case that is significant. I am going to keep an eye on the shade condition there, (never thought of that) but I do think it is still getting plenty of sun. I will also try adding to the soil because that may be an issue, too. I have never tended to this garden much so maybe I just need to start! Thanks for the input.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here