SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Native Tree Recommendation?

Hi, I'm considering whether I will add a native tree to my garden. I have a situation that I want to screen out a view, but I have a narrow 10 foot space to work with, that faces South but gets some late day shade from trees to the West of it. It basically gets about 6 hrs of sun. It is DRY there. There are a lot of tree roots that suck out the moisture on the other side of the fence. Spruces and a London Plane tree. The location would not be under a canopy of any trees.

I would like something about 15-20ft tall at maturity. If the tree was narrow enough, I wouldn't care if it grew really large if I really liked it. If I were going to give up the space to a tree, then I would want it to be interesting. There are already a lot of Maples and Spruce in the surrounding yards. I would love red fall color.

I've thought of a Cornus florida, but they do have disease problems here and might be too broad. Not wanting a Redbud. Ash is now having problems from that Ash borer here now and maybe those are too broad. I hear good things about the Tulip Tree, but it seems too broad and not sure about the fall color. I have nothing but yellow fall color all around me so I need a color to break that up.

I'm not all that familiar with native trees but would love to get some ideas.

Thanks

Comments (4)

Sponsored