o
one more reason to buy Joe Pye

Posted by anita55 zone 6 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 11, 10 at 9:01

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: one more reason to buy Joe Pye

I saw my first two monarchs yesterday, then discovered two of their larva on my butterfly weed. I'm so excited to have attracted them.

I planted Joe-pye last year, but only have a single plant so far. I'm sure it will spread and I can collect and plant the seed too.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Native Backyard

o

Love that plant! Nice pic BTW.

o

I have for years used joe pye in several designs with great success. It has because of its height been used at the rear of mixed borders and perennial beds. In recent years I have been cutting it back by half in late spring early summer. The result is a smaller more florified version. I also get it to spread faster and colonize an area by bending over a few stems at the time of cutback and burry them under the mulch. I have only found this to be true with Joe Pye Weed (Eupatorium purpureum) Not E.rugosum or E. maculatum

o

gibby1,

I have often thought of cutting back some of the taller natives to create a bushier, shorter plant. I don't grow mums, but always heard they should be cut back and wanted to try it with the taller natives.

My idea has always been to mow an area of meadow early spring, then mow (high) only the front half a week or two later, then just mow (high) the front 1/4...I'm hoping to create a layered look with taller plants in the back (or center if mowed on both sides) so it looks more tidy from the road. As I add more and more natives, now that I have land, I'll see how my plan works.

I had never thought of bending and burying a stem of Joe Pye, thanks for the suggestion. I only have one plant so far and hope to spread it. Have they rooted well for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: A Native Backyard

o

I have both Joe-Pye Weed and Swamp Milkweed growing next to each other. The Monarch has been staying on the Swamp Milkweed. I also have a little Butterfly Milkweed, but I have not yet seen the Monarch on it.

My Joe-Pye Weed is fairly short - not like the seven to nine foot plant I had last year. The tall one did not grow back, and I planted two new ones. Perhaps they are a different variety.

I see that GardenWed does not allow me to enter my Yahoo Group URL. Guess they have been having some problems with spammers.

o

Here's another reason...

Painted Lady
Painted Lady 2

I don't remember which joe-pye weed I have. I know I have E. purpureum. I think the other is E.rugosum. Shorter, light pink. They reseed all over the place. I'm forever digging them up and giving away plants.

Monarchs have been here all season. I have cats out on the butterfly weed again now. I was surprised to read that people haven't been seeing them.

o

E. rugosum is white snakeroot. Its white and is very common in my area.

E. maculatum or E. fistulosum (Tall JPW) are the other common joe pye's, besides E. purpureum.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here