SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldhermit

What is 'Native?'

oldhermit
16 years ago

I'm new to this forum and I am also new in seeking to find and identify the wildflowers on my secluded property in Northern PA.

So far this year, (I got a late start), I have photographed and identified 178 different flowering plants.

Right here I have to confess; I am not educated in botany. No doubt a large percentage of the flowering blooms I find pleasure with, are reviled.

I now understand the guidelines of this forum are for native plants/flowers. When I originally did a search for a wildflower forum, I suppose I overlooked, or took the "Native" specific, lightly.

My eyes were opened by the, less-than-appreciative, responses to another poster who touted the value of chickweed.

I understand that there are government agencies that determine categories of noxious, invasive and native.

Being a novice, I find that rather confusing as I can't help but wonder; "when" does the "native" period begin? Is it before the glacial ice-age or, in volcanic areas, is it prior to, or after, earth-altering eruptions?

Perhaps it is the day before any white, or semi-white, settlers arrived?

It seems to me there was a time when none, or few, of the recognizable native species we have, were here! I doubt they just simply sprung up from the earth's molten core!

I truly suspect that most of them originated in temperate climes, adaptively-evolved, and found their way here through the various means we all are familiar with -- doesn't that make them "all" invasive?

As I check through my Newcomb's, Peterson's, Audubon, Wildflowers of Pennsylvania, and Time Life books, I notice that some species are not defined as native, introduced, escaped or otherwise. Many simply are described and noted to region.

How confusing...........

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus