Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for plant ideas

Posted by ruthcatrin 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 10:01

We're in the process of digging out the permanent horseshoe pits the former owner of our property put in. This is going to leave me with a pair of gaping holes to fill in. And I've decided that I want to put some sort of bush into at least one of the holes.

I'd really like a flowering native bush. One that the bees and/or butterflies, and/or hummingbirds (we only get Ruby Throats) will go for.

It needs to either be slow growing, or stay under 10ft.

It needs to be good down to zone 5, and with the winter temps from last winter fresh on my brain I'd really like something that's good down to zone 4.

It must be tolerant of wet soil. I can put in a slight raised bed there for it, but I don't want a huge one, and that area is very wet, like, water less than 10inches down wet.

Preferably *not* one with violent spreading by suckers tendencies. We have a Trumpet Vine elsewhere on the property and keeping the suckers mowed down is a constant chore.

I do not want a Willow relative.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for plant ideas

Approximately what city/state are you near?

o

Bit outside of Syracuse NY.

o

• Posted by junco Augusta, GA z8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 16:34

How about one of the viburnums? I believe they will fruit better if you have more than one cultivar of the same species--check into that to make sure you get the flowers and fruit you want. Mike Dirr recommends Viburnum cassinoides, otherwise known as Witherod vib, Swamp vib, Swamp Blackhaw, etc. Hardy in zones 3 to 8.

o

Hm, that one hadn't come up in my looking around, I'll have to look at it closer!

o

A good one for moist to wet soil in full sun is buttonbush (Cephalanthus occidentalis). Early azalea (Rhododendron prinophyllum) also occurs in your area, is slow growing, and can tolerate wet soil. Might take some searching to find a good specimen for sale though.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 20:20

Clethra alnifolia (Ruby Spires is my preferred)...hummingbirds and powerful fragrance...it's a wetland species.

Though all those above are good suggestions as well.

o

I'd thought of azalea's, but you're right, finding a good one local has been difficult. I think buttonbush came up in my search, but I'll have to look at it closer. Ruby Spires doesn't ring a bell though, so I'll have to look! Thanks guys!

o

Oh! Thats a Summersweet/spice bush! I keep going back to those but I've NO LUCK finding them local.

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 20, 14 at 9:56

I would have said see Seneca Hills in Oswego, but they closed :(
I can't believe that it's not locally stocked...most of the towns here are smaller than yours and I can find locally.
You can also mail order it...I can tell you a couple of places if you need.

o

I'll admit that I haven't actually ASKED for it, and that may be the key, but I've been wandering the rows at several of the nurserys local to me with no luck. I'm closer to Utica though than Oswego if it makes a difference. But I think I'm going to start calling around and asking, maybe someone has one stashed in a corner.....

But if you know of some good places to order from please suggest!

o

You said where you live but you did not say if it is a rural area or urban. We live in a rural area in eastern North Carolina. One of the big things we must consider is deer resistance. My daughter has had deer eating the bushes that area under the windows on her house. We have had them between the rose bushes and the porch.

I wish I could say that there is one plant they will not eat but we have not found on that is completely resistant

Because we can not find a plant that is completely resistant we have decided to plant more than they can eat.

o

Deer can be an issue here. They ate my habenero plants last summer.....

This is right up by the house though, where they are less of an issue.

o

What about Cornus sericea, either red or yellow stemmed?

Viburnum trilobum could be an option also. Either of these could handle the wet soil and also provide fruit for the birds in fall/winter.

I liked the suggestion for buttonbush, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here