Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monster helianthus

Posted by zuni 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 28, 08 at 10:02

I got a perennial sunflower (helianthus) from a friend last year. It is more than 9 feet tall already; it's bending in half and is taking the stake down with it! For next year, can it be cut back in early summer to produce a smaller plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monster helianthus

Yes definitely, I pinch my Helianthus 'Lemon Queen' in June along with other large perennials like Aster and Solidago. This tends to make them shorter and bushier, and does seem to delay bloom time somewhat.

I just got a division of Helianthus maximiliani at plant swap this Spring which is supposed to grow huge and bloom late in the season. I definitely plan to whack it back next year!

o

• Posted by zuni 5a (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 29, 08 at 10:03

Thanks, Terrene. Your new plant sounds like the one I have. It must be 9 feet tall now, and the first bloom is only thinking about opening!

o

I wanted to add - Helianthus seems to be a favorite of critters - which munch on it, and it grows back - so I would think they are well-adapted to this type of pruning.

There are a lot of species that get huge - do you have a picture? Here is a link on Helianthus maximiliani.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helianthus maximiliani

o

I have Swamp Sunflower here (Helianthus angustifolius) and it's absolutely necessary to severely prune them early in the year to control their height...this year I cut them back in June and they still grew huge and flopped over. I think it's all the rain we got here in the east this summer...

o

Anyone have any experience with pruning Western Sunflower(Helianthus occidentalus)? The literature says that these plants only grow to 2.5 to 3.5 feet. Some of mine are now over 6 feet tall. I was trying to keep this section of plants all in the 2 to 4 ft height range and that is one of the reasons I bought this sunflower. Thanks for any replies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here