Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Arrowwood Viburnum or Eastern Ninebark?

Posted by edlincoln 6A (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 10:08

Arrowwood Viburnum or Eastern Ninebark are on sale at my local Lowes for $7.50 for a fairly big plant. Which should I get?

I could either plant it on an eroding embankment or in a row of bushes concealing a superfluous fence.

It would be exposed to high winds and salt spray during hurricanes. Either clay soil or a mixture of sand and gravel depending on where I decide to put it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Arrowwood Viburnum or Eastern Ninebark?

It all depends on what you are looking for. Common Ninebark has unique bark and a lot of wildlife value when it comes to native bees. But Arrow-wood Viburnum has much better fall color, and is a host plant for the uncommon "Spring Azure" butterfly although, it lacks Common Ninebarks unique bark.

o

Tough choice ... I'd probably wind up getting both, and you did say you have two potential locations ... but don't let me be a bad influence ;-)

You might find the information on the Mass. Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs website somewhat helpful, where they specificallly mention the following about ninebark:

"...fast growing and will re-sprout from the base vigorously if cut back. It can be used in a garden border, as a screen, or for erosion control on banks."

Here is a link that might be useful: Mass. Energy & Env. Affairs - Coastal Landscaping

o

Check to see if viburnum leaf beetle is in your area. They just love arrowwood.

o

Get both.

o

Yeah, both good plants. Arrowwood viburnum happens to be a personal favorite of mine but both are useful and native.

+oM

o

I purchased the ninebark.

Another thought. One of the sites I'm thinking of planting it has decent soil but a lot of invasive English ivy. The other has sand and gravel, honeysuckle, and poison ivy (A native, yay!)

Would English Ivy kill this plant? For some reason it hasn't killed any other trees, but this is a young one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here