Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native Purple Coneflower

Posted by pufftrinket 5MI (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 10:40

I have, in the past, found it difficult to sift through online information about native plants.

This forum has often pointed me in the right direction.

I created a webpage(blog-style) on several species of native coneflower. It's essentially a colleciton of links and resources.

I wonder if some of you would be willing to take a look and give some feedback?

Perhaps you know of more resources I could include.

Thanks.

Jule R.

Here is a link that might be useful: Native Purple Coneflower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native Purple Coneflower

Interesting and very nicely done. One thing: you need to indicate which ones are protected and where. (Maybe you did that, and I missed it.)

In NC E. laevigata and E. purpurea are on the protected list. Recently folks on the rare plant list serve here were excited to have found what appears to be natural stands of E. purpurea, apparently very uncommon in the state.

Also, this means that gardeners cannot share either of these plants without a state permit to do so, and officially nurseries cannot sell without state permits. This has not been widely advertised, so there is major confusion and little compliance.

Nice to see such lovely photos and good data in one place. Good luck with your project.

o

Very nice.

I would suggest formatting some of the info common to a section to appear in the same location or with the same subheader throughout all your entries. So for example, germinating seed info would have a standard subheader in your "garden" or "seeds" sections. It makes it a little more encyclopedic and easier to find the same info across the species.

Given my own interests, I always look for the ethnobotanical info on native plant species. And since I happen to have my copy of Native American Ethnobotany by Moerman sitting here next to the computer at the moment, I looked up echinacea - E. angustifolia, E. pallida, E. purpurea all have entries. These are the same species that have listings at Plants for a Future. So you could include some links to herbal info - echinacea is a hugely popular medicinal plant. Just be sure to include some stewardship info or info from United Plant Savers to accompany it. No one should be wild harvesting these plants - they are so easy to grow for your own medicinal use, even from seed. Dead simple to start plants from seed with wintersowing.

FataMorgana

o

Alas, no sharing of your seedlings without a permit in NC. In my old age, I love growing things from seed but can hardly use all that germinate if I get good results.

Obviously, no one I know wants anything wild collected unless the site will be destroyed for a road, development, etc., and rescued with permission of the land owner.

However, even plants legally acquired cannot be propagated and shared (no money involved) unless one has a permit from the state. There are 419 plants on the NC list, so we are talking about more than this species.

o

Thank you! I appreciate your time and suggestions.

I will work on the protected status, and on the internal organization of each section.

Interesting information... thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here