Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify this plant?

Posted by kr222 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 10:41

I found this near I local creek in PA. I am hoping that it is a variety of Asclepias to feed my new monarch caterpillars. They seem to prefer the old leaves they arrived on and are ignoring this new foliage. Did I find the wrong plant? I'll try to attach pictures. These leaves came off of a plant around 4 feet high along the edge of the creek (not in the water).

Thanks for the help everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: Alternate link to the pictures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone identify this plant?

I don't think it is Asclepias. Asclepias would ooze a white sap when you pull off a leaf.

o

I think you're right. The cats won't touch the stuff and there is no white sap. I was able to go to a local creek and find some with large leaves. The second I popped one off...lots of sap. Huge relief. Thanks for your help.

o

Purple Loostrife

o

• Posted by jaybirdy 5north/central Illin (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 12:19

It kind of looks like it could be bloodflower(asclepius currasavica).Actually,not all milkweeds have sticky white sap and bloodflower is one of those.It's hard to make an accurate ID without seeing the flower.If it had red and orange ,or plain yellow star shaped flowers it would be bloodflower.It could also be in the dogbane family which is closely related to milkweeds.A flower description would greatly help in identifying it.

o

I was walking near the creek when I saw this plant finally in bloom. It definitely didn't have a flower like other milkweed. It had individual, soft yellow flowers. They were large...about the size of a quarter and the petals formed an open cup. Luckily I was able to find some milkweed at another creek and the monarchs were alright.

o

Perhaps they might have been some type of oenothera, primrose.

Karen

o

Karen,
I typed in primrose to see images of it. It looked just like photos labeled evening primrose. You've solved my mystery. Thanks!
Kim

o

Cool! Your description of the flowers led me to think they were evening primrose. Nice that the mystery is solved. :)

Karen

o

Oenothera (evening primerose) has alternate leaves, while the leaves on your plant are opposite.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here