Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to sow vanilla leaf (Achlys triphylla)

Posted by viktoria5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 10:52

I have bought some vanilla leaf seed. I am planning on sowing it soon, as the limited information I have found on the Web seems to suggest sowing it in fall for spring germination.

I live in zone 5, and although I have seen many indications that vanilla leaf needs at least a zone 6 setting, I will try all the same as I did buy the seed locally (botanical garden). I do have a spot where it would feel at home: part shade, moist, somewhat protected from wind.

The thing is I have no clue how exactly to sow it. How deep should I set the seed? What spacing should I use? Do I need to treat the seed before sowing it? Should I anticipate any widening of the patch within the first few years? Should I look out for something if I want to eventually propagate this? It is so beautiful I would like to have more than what I have (about two dozen seeds).

If you have sown vanilla leaf, please let me know what your observations are or point me in the right direction on the Web to find out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to sow vanilla leaf (Achlys triphylla)

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 0:29

Winter will provide the cold treatment. You might want to plant it in a special bed or other more controlled situation, to facilitate keeping track of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here