Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast Growing Native Tree

Posted by barbarawilliams 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 11:21

I have an enormous pine on the border between my property and a heavily travelled road (separated from the road by a public walkway). It is dying and must be taken down. I want to replace it with a flowering native tree that is fast to grow, as the house is a large Victorian and I want the new tree to be in scale to the house in as little time as possible. Also the road that the tree is near gets a lot of salt application in our NE winters, so that needs to be kept in mind. Otherwise, the location is a sunny one, with good soil. Nearby are a huge and gorgeous maple and a medium sized dogwood. Does anyone have any ideas? The following have been mentioned to me: Japanese Pagoda, Yellowwood, Serviceberry. Any comments on these suggestions? Thanks for your thoughts. -- Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast Growing Native Tree

A fast growing large tree is Tulip poplar (not actually a poplar, but rather in the magnolia family).

Here is a link that might be useful: Liriodendron tulipifera

o

Our sassafras and tulip trees both grow pretty fast.
Unfortunately, both have brittle wood so we have to keep them away from buildings.

o

Almost all trees that are fast growers have brittle wood. If you have space think about planting a cluster of trees with a slower growning tree in the middle. As the tree you want matures cut the others out. It is a lot easier to cut two or three 20' trees than one 50+ that showers your yard every year with branches.

o

If you are within the city limits you might also want to check with local bi-laws because here in our city there are tree species such as Tulip Tree that are not permitted on lawns or boulevards between sidewalks and roads because the root systems are too invasive. Tulip Tree is not permitted here in my city.

Barb

o

Most fast-growing trees are also short-lived trees, and many trees that have a reputation for fast growth really only grow fast at first, then slow down. For example, I have watched a row of trees planted in front of a local corner store for perhaps 25 years. The trees included a Red oak, a Pin Oak, and a Norway Maple. At first the maple did indeed grow faster than the others, but about 15 years ago the oaks caught up and now both the Red Oak and the Pin Oak are considerably larger than the maple

I guess my point is that fast growing trees aren't always much faster growing than trees considered to be slow growing trees. I would plant a tree that will grow to be a nice adult tree rather than focus only on fast-growing trees.Nevertheless, some trees that tend to be fast include Silver Maple (grows fast but tends to be brittle. A very large tree), Eastern Sycamore (very large and impressive as an adult) and Eastern COttonwood (fast growing, not very often used as a street tree, although the similar Western Cottonwood is a popular street tree in much of the western US).

o

Honeylocust will grow quickly, and only to 40-50 ft in full. Provides light shade, and the leaves are small so they blow away with no raking.

Silver maples are messy, and break easily. White Oak might do well.

Do you want a tall tree? Serviceberry and tulip trees don't get very tall.

o

Catalpa speciosa
Catalpa bignonoides
Magnolia acumentata
Taxodium distichum
Liriodendron tulipifera and cultivars
Halesia monticola

o

Tulip trees are supposed to get very tall I have one I planted two years ago it's not that tall yet though.
What about a prunus I have a native one I bought 2 and a half years ago it was really small I'm 5 feet and it was way shorter than me. now it's so high its going into an electcal wire.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here