Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Invasive Maples? Please help identify ...

Posted by topie 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 8, 09 at 11:58

Photobucket

Just wondering if anyone can help identify these maples. Both of these trees are growing near our yard. Not sure if one or both are Norway maple or not.

Tree One (the leaf on the left) doesn't appear to be producing seed pods at the moment, although it's hard to tell because this tree has a lot of English ivy and poison ivy growing up its trunk and it's difficult to get very close to the tree.

Tree Two (the leaf on the right) is producing seed pods right now (early August). It's leaves are a lighter green than Tree One.

Didn't see any milky sap when I plucked the leaves off.

Can't recall either of their fall colors at the moment.

There was a third tree in this area that our town cut down that the tree cutters said was a Norway maple.

One or both of these trees is having lots of babies all over. The two trees are close together, so it's hard to tell which tree is making the saplings, but I think it's Tree One.

If anyone can help identify, thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Invasive Maples? Please help identify ...

The first looks like Norway maple. Try pulling off another leaf and wait a little while to see if it exudes milky sap.

The second one is sugar maple. Can tell by the shape of the leaf and the samaras.

o

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm pretty sure that Tree One is a Norway Maple. I'm glad to know the other one is a native Sugar Maple. I had the feeling that's what it was, but wanted to ask just to be sure.

Well, at least there is one native tree out there in our "maple area".

Thanks again.

o

I agree with the ID from lycopus. There should be milky sap from Norway Maple, but it can be hard to extract at times. Try squeezing the leaf stem to force out some sap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here