Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help in identifying orange-fruited plant in Oregon

Posted by mclend 97007 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 07 at 12:20

I recently moved to Oregon after 30 years overseas. Backyard is heavily wooded area with large trees. In shaded area are many 2-foot high bushes that currently have small (1/2") bright orange fleshy fruit/berries containing 6 small hard seeds. Berries are at terminus of branches and in groups of 2-3 under the leaves. The leaves are growing directly from the branch without stems. Pointed smooth-edged leaves with veins parallel to the central stem. I have not seen this plant bloom so do not have any information about flower type.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help in identifying orange-fruited plant in Oregon

Can you post a picture?
Are the leaves alternate or opposite along the stem?

o

check this website for pictures of branch from top and bottom, hope this helps.

http://www.your-e-c.com/

o

Here's a drawing of the species it may be:
Prosartes trachycarpa
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PRTR4

The photo below is a related species from the eastern US.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prosartes lanuginosa

o

Thank You carol23, that's it. I've found out that around here it's called Hooker's Fairy Bells; here's a reference from a local Middle School. http://ghs.gresham.k12.or.us/science/ps/nature/plants/3petal/lily/fbell.htm
When I told my daughter what she had growing in the back woods she laughed and said that she was going to tell all her friends that she had hookers in her woods and they had bells on :-)

Thanks again for your rapid and accurate response,
Michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here