Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for natives for wildlife

Posted by petpalikali WI-Z4 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 13:07

Hey all, new house, huge yard, Woo Hoo! I'm trying to make it a haven for wildlife. I could use suggestions for the best natives for my zone 4. I have everything from sun to deep shade. Shrub, perennials, and reseeding annual ideas would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Pet out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for natives for wildlife

You are going to have fun!I'm sure that GW posters from WI and from zone 4 in other states will chime in, but here's the link for some information for southern WI natives. However, if you click through to the wisplants.uwsp.edu link, and click through again, you can get a list of WI natives by county which is extremely cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of WI Arboretum

o

Hey lisanti, I'm already having so much fun. In the year that I've lived here I've seen a rise in birds visiting. Thanks for your help. Pet out.

o

Do you have in mind just what wildlife you would like to make a haven for? Might that be something for you to decide first?
Birds?
Insects?
Other Invertebrates?
Mammals?
Reptiles?
Endangered Species?

Sue

The link below lists Wisconsin Wildlife and tells about them and gives numerous planting suggestions for each one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisconsin critters.

o

Hi petpalikali! If you're looking for butterfly plants in your area you could try the butterfly site
http://www.thebutterflyfarm.com/usa-gardening-region-5 this link should tell you what plants can live in your area and which butterflies they'll attrack.
I'm not sure if you want a tree but hackberry trees are attractive towards deer.
Try planting some native grasses but be careful because these might attrack snakes.

o

HEy all. I'm following the list for a certified wildlife garden, so the kind of natives I'm looking for would produce - seeds, nuts, berries and nectar. Not on the same plant of course, LOL. I have full sun in the front yard, so they should be semi-pretty for the neighbors. The back yard is mostly shaded by giant maple trees, a Plum and two Apple trees. Stuff doesn't have tobe so pretty there, mostly useful for wildlife. Keep your suggestions comimg!

o

Blueberries, American Holly, American Beach Trees.

o

Wild red columbine could grow in your backyard with the shade. It has nectar and attracts butterflies.

o

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 13:24

I suggest contacting your county extension agent about getting a soil test. Cheap, easy, and gives you a lot of information to work with.

o

I'm doing the same thing in my NJ yard. I planted serviceberries and native viburnums, and am about to put in a silky dogwood. All cornus are nice, plus native hollies such as winterberry. And don't forget the big trees--oak, birch, prunus, Nyssa sylvatica, hackberry. Lot of choices!
dr. liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here