Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
passion vine

Posted by mbh texas (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 30, 10 at 13:20

I have some beautiful Passion vines on my property. They surround my horse pastures and so far the horses have not touched the vines or fruit. I wonder if they are poisonous for horses, cows etc?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: passion vine

Don't know what types of passiflora you have but you may wish to read the following article.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Horse Herbs

o

Passionflowers contain cyanogenic glycosides, which can be toxic to most animals. You might google cyanogenic glycosides and horses to more information regarding toxicity. My understanding is that they are more toxic to ruminants than animals with simple stomachs. Might also ask a veterinarian for his or her opinion.

o

Asking a veterinarian or other animal health professional is always sound advice and I agree with it.

As far as toxicity, I can only comment on the effect in humans and not in horses, but Passiflora incarnata has a long and relatively safe herbal use history. As a medicinal herb, passionflower is generally used for its calming effects. I do not know of other passiflora species being used herbally and so would doubt their safety for grazers.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here