Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need to move an Aesculus parviflora

Posted by terryr z5a IL (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 13:28

I planted an Aesculus parviflora 5 yrs ago. At the time, it was the perfect spot. We needed to build a ramp into our home and it goes right by the shrub, so the spot isn't so good now. Does anyone have any suggestions on moving it? It doesn't need to move far, about 6' over and back. The shrub is about 6' tall and wide.

And help is greatly appreciated.

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need to move an Aesculus parviflora

Wait until fall and pre-dig the new hole to reduce the amount of time out of ground. You could "root prune" it now a bit to allow it time to recover from some of the root severing. Root pruning = digging all the way around about 3 inches down as if you were going to dig it up but really just cutting the surface roots (I realize you probably know this, but others may not).

o

Thanks!

oh yeah, I know what root pruning is ☺ but you're right, some might not.

o

I don't know if this is the case with A. parviflora, but the more tree-like Buckeyes tend to have deep taproots making them difficult to move. Might be a different case with yours given that it is more of a colonial shrub.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here