Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
once you have planted wildflowers.....

Posted by CatnipRoses z5 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 15:00

Do you just let them die back down? Will they come back next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: once you have planted wildflowers.....

If you can resist the temptation to cut them back, yes, by all means, let them die back naturally, freeze thru the winter, and depending on the type they should reseed and reflower next year.

That't the beauty of the natives! Low maintenance. The first year might be slow, the second a little better, but by the third they should be very full.

o

There kinda ugly now. There are other later blooming ones that are coming up, so I guess I can be patient.

Thanks for answering

Catnip:)

o

Don't forget to burn or mow in the spring too!

o

You can cut them back if you don't like the look as they naturally die down. Deadhead if you don't want them to seed around, don't deadhead if you do want seedlings.

As to whether they will come back... It depends upon the plant. Annuals and second year biennials will not come back but will likely leave seedlings for next year. The perennials will mostly come back if they are winter hardy in your area, and if they get the right kind of winter treatment (some like wet, some like dry, some need snow cover, some need very good drainage and so on). Some perennial wildflowers are short lived and only last for two to four years.

What plants do you have?

o

I know of a few like bachlor buttons(I think thats what they are called),four o'clocks,and I think sweet peas.
There is one plant that looks like it belongs in the hibiscus family,it has little pink flowers. I had planted one of those giant containers of wildflower mix.This is my first time planting them so I will wait and see what comes back up next year.

Thanks for the help.:)

o

The wildflower mixes contain a mix of annuals and perennials, many of which are not native plants. The ones you mentioned are not native and are annuals, they will only return if they manage to set seed and the seed survives the winter.

If you still have the container it may have a list of what seeds were included. You can search on Google to find out more about each of the plants.

o

I have about an acre that was planted with sunflowers last Spring (May). The weeds took over! NOT a one appeared. What prep should I do this Fall....burn, weed control spray or what? I am in the mountains of Western NC.
Would it be better to plant wildflower seed this Fall after a burn? I really need some guidance. Anne 12

o

Anne 12, what do you want your acre to be: a meadow, a prairie, a cutting flower garden or a field of sunflowers.

Prepping an acre for a permanent perennial meadow or prairie is quite a job and means being diligent about weed control for two to three years and can involve burning, chemical weed control, repeated tilling and weed pulling . See the link below for a detailed discussion and check previous threads over at the Meadow and Prairies forum for more advice. I have posted the link to an FAQ page at Prairie Moon Nursery; download their catalogue and read the pages about planting a prairie by clinking onto the homepage button and following the links.

Wildflower Farm also has good instructions, copy and paste this link to your browser:
http://www.wildflowerfarm.com/QuickGuide.htm

If you want a no fuss acre of colour, you can try one of the commercial wildflower mixes. They contain mostly non native, garden annuals but it will deliver lots of colour. You will need to seed it every year, as the mixes only provide one year of plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prairie Moon Nursery Link

o

Judy B, Thanks for the info. I visualize a meadow of lush wildflowers and realize now it will take time and effort. In the mail today, much to my delight, came a catalog from WildFlowers Farm. Good bedtime reading. Anne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here