Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zanthoxylum americana

Posted by cydonia33 Philly 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 23, 06 at 15:00

Has anyone had any experience with this shrub/tree? I cannot find much with a google search. I am basically wondering light/moisture requirements, growth habit/size, and wildlife value. Any info. would be much appreciated...

Jenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zanthoxylum americana

Jenny,

I went to the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center site's search and didn't find it, so I searched there with just genus, since sometimes there are sometimes multiple names for species, and the alternative names don't show up in their search. I'm guessing this is the plant I found listed as Zanthoxylum americanum (I've made similar slight changes to botanical names often enough!). Here's a site, and I linked to the Ladybird Johnson page below:

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=M900

If it's a different plant, or if these and another Google search don't help enough, please add to the thread so somebody else can try to help, or I'll see if my books have information on it.

Lori

Here is a link that might be useful: growing conditions per Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center

o

I believe this is the tooth ache tree I often find this shrub in light shade of a woods edge border about 15 -20 feet from a clearing or field near or along a fence. I would say lightly moist to dry soil. something must eat the fruit because when I go to collect the seed it is usually gone.lol. birds do not like the smell of citrus and because this tree is in the orange family - I may be confusing this with hop tree as it is in the orange family but I believe this is too because if you rub the leaves it smells citrus like. I know the hop tree also in the orange family is the host for the swallow tail butterfly and if you rub this catapillar it will emit a smell of citrus as to ward off an attack from predator ie birds - so I would think not to popular with birds maybe critters though

o

Google "prickly ash" and you will find hundreds of links to websites, mostly medicinal. The one below is probably one of the best for descriptiion and habitat. It is native in my county, but rarely sighted. With all of the land clearing and construction, it may soon only be found in the few preserved park areas.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Prickly Ash

o

Yes, the Latin name for this plant is also spelled with an "X", but I did not have any luck searching either of the spellings. Thank you for the links and the personal experience.

Jenny

o

Prickly Ash (Xanthoxylum americana) is not very common in places I have lived, so I am not familiar with how to grow it. However, I have heard that the fruit are favorites of many species of birds. Also, the leaves are one of the few natural food sources for Giant Swallowtail butterfly larva, which feed only on plants of the citrus family. I have seen this plant along woodland edges, dunes, and similar sunny openings in woods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here