Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asclepias syriaca ?

Posted by adidas 6/7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 16:22

I don't understand how this species can be considered a pest? I have a gravelly, weedy spot w/a few A. syriaca plants growing in it. They grow big beautiful leaves, equally beautiful flowers, LOTS of seed pods but no seeds...WHY? because the larvae of beetles (not sure what species)eat them before they ever leave the pod. How do these things even survive much less become pests?!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asclepias syriaca ?

It is because it also spreads quite aggressively by underground runners. I planted a patch of it knowing its habits a few years ago and have not regretted it...yet. Since I raise monarchs I appreciate the rapid growth and large fleshy leaves. Swamp milkweed and butterfly weed can't compete in that respect. I have had sprouts pop up a good 4-5 feet away and turn into large clumps themselves, but that doesn't bother me...yet. I can see how that would not be desirable in a tidy planned flower bed. The stalks can also get quite tall and need staking after some wind/rain.

o

Wow! I didn't know Asclepias had underground runners! What I find interesting is that I haven't found a SINGLE caterpillar or even an egg on any of the milkweeds! When I was little I lived for awhile in New Zealand and we raised monarchs on milkweeds but I'm not sure of the species. It was not syriaca. Looked more like tuberosa but wasn't orange...anyway the monarchs ate EVERYTHING! There were caterpillars everywhere! But now I am in VA and we have swallowtails (mostly) and I saw one lone monarch yesterday but no caterpillars (of any species)! I was planning on gathering the Asclepias seeds and dropping them in a few more patches but I can't find any seeds...do you know if they transplant ok? I know tuberosa does not.

o

I haven't found as many monarch eggs or cats this year either. I have heard that because of the very mild winter in much of the country that there is a much larger population of their predators this year. I have my best luck finding eggs by watching for the females to lay the eggs and then immediately looking for them. If I wait until the next day, they oftentimes are all eaten already.

I have grown five different types of milkweed, all from seed that I have wintersown outside in containers and then planted out. They all transplanted well at the seedling stage and really took off. However many of them do have large tap roots that can make it hard to transplant mature plants. I did move an A. tuberosa that was a little over a foot tall and I dug the rootball down almost a foot which broke the taproot off. I thought it was dead because it was completely wilted after transplanting, but with plenty of watering it survived. It did take until the next year for it to fully recover though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here