Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coneflower feeder

Posted by akron64 Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 16:36

Hi - My 1st post! Prior to reading earlier posts - I deadheaded half of my coneflowers to save for a winter feeder for my finches. My garden still has plenty of coneflowers and sunflowers still blooming to satisfy the 4-5 finches frequenting my inner city garden.

Question: Has anyone built a feeder for intact coneflower seed heads? Currently I have drying on newspaper in the (occasional) sun, multitudes of seed heads. My plan is to save them, in a dry spot, until winter and then feed them to the birds.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coneflower feeder

Leaving them on the plant works pretty well. :-) I have already spotted goldfinches twice on my Rudbeckia. It is very comical to watch them picking out the seeds, perched on those flimsy twigs!

For the ones you have already picked, you could try gathering them in a bunch and securing with a rubber band. You could then hang that from a branch. Don't know if that would work, just a suggestion.
Liz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here