Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i spent the day collecting pics, now i need ids!

Posted by lenahall 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 16:51

this first plant was growing along the road in the corner of nw ga and tn. the pods practically exploded seeds when i touched them (scared me at first, as i was standing in tall grass, waiting to be snake bitten!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i spent the day collecting pics, now i need ids!

seed pods

o

Spotted Jewelweed or "Touch-Me-Not", so named because, as you discovered, the seed pods pop open, scattering the seeds, when touched. Scientific name Impatiens capensis. Native to most of North America and reportedly (I've never tried it) when crushed and rubbed on the affected area, an antidote to urushiol, the allergen in poison ivy.

There is a similar one with yellow flowers, Impatiens pallida, commonly called pale jewelweed or pale/yellow touch-me-not.

Glad you didn't meet up with any snakes!

o

thanks!! i love it!! i kept some seeds, will attempt to sow them when i get my native bed cultivated.

o

Your Jewelweed is an important food source for Southward migrating Ruby-throated hummingbirds. The nectar has a very high sugar content.

o

Yup, I agree, it is Jewelweed.

Jewelweed likes to grow in very wet, shady areas. Spreads like crazy, but is really easy to pull up because of it's weirdly shallow roots. It's an annual related to impatients.

Didn't know about the hummingbird thing.

o

I've had swaths of Jewel weed encroaching on my garden year in, year out for 27 years. It's impossible to get rid of and I consider it a bit of a pest as it consumes much time to pull out (luckily it pulls real easy) so it doesn't take over. Seems funny to me that you're planting seeds. One man's treasure..... :)

o

Hummingbirds go crazy for it up north.

o

dlbk, it looks beautiful in the pic you posted! but i do understand :)

o

Our land was once cow pasture and the Jewel weed blankets the untended areas, up to 5' tall (it's very happy in our marginal wetlands). It has a pretty flower and the bees like it as well, but a gardener does need a bit of open space. ;)

o

i bought some jewel weed infused hand made soap today :) maybe my native gardening will segue into soap making!!

o

i went back by the jewel weed patch to collect more seeds and they were all gone. big frown! anyone have any that they'd be willing to share?

o

Go back to that spot next Spring, there will be seedlings everywhere - and they're easy to transplant.

o

Yes, the seeds have a tendency to go flying before you can collect them. I once had a patch of jewelweed that I was determined to get rid of, and it wasn't that hard. I just kept pulling. Now I am welcoming it back in a different area. I've converted to a native plant enthusiast!

o

isn't it great to convert!!?? :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here