Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carphephorus odoratissimus (Vanillaleaf, Deer's Tongue)

Posted by hunzo 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 17:48

I would like to grow this plant in my flower garden but I am having a difficult time finding seeds. Can anyone help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carphephorus odoratissimus (Vanillaleaf, Deer's Tongue)

Google it.

o

"google it" has been done before posting here. A source for this plant is not as easy to find as one might think. Finding information on the plant is easy but finding the actual plant or seeds has been unsucessful so far. That is why I posted the query here to get some help locating seeds or a live plant. With all do respect "google it" is not much help in this situation.

o

This place sells Carphephorus corymbosus seed separately, and C. odoratissimus as part of a wildflower mix.

http://www.floridawildflowers.com/seed.htm

Perhaps if you called them, they might either be able to sell you some of the latter specially?

BTW, when I googled that Latin name, I found one site suggesting that Trilisa odoratissima is another name for it? Perhaps that's a different plant entirely, but I wonder if there's been a recent renaming of it? If so, perhaps the name Trilisa odoratissima might also be fruitful to search for?

--Steve

o

Foolyap (Steve),

Thanks, but I already contacted floridawilflowers.com before submitting my original post. They, indeed, include the C. odoratissimus in the mix however the seeds are gathered all together from a field of wildflowers that includes C. odoratissimus but the seeds are not gathered by individual species. Also, the name Trilisa odoratissima is an older name for the same plant and I have persued that thread as well.

o

You could try posting a request on the Seed Exchange forum, or search the Exchange lists of Gardenweb members. Somebody here might have the seeds for this plant. Many traders are willing to share seeds if you send a SASBE (self-addressed stamped bubble envelope).

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb Member Exchange Pages

o

terrene,

Thanks, I have posted a seed request as you suggested.

o

I asked Dr. Google and he gave me the link below. It's a nursery that listed this plant on their available list. The list is from 2007 but you could contact them or read through their website for more info.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Full Moon Natives

o

FataMorgana,

Thanks, I saw their list and I e-mailed Full Moon Natives over a month ago. They did not respond. I e-mailed again today. Perhaps I'll have to phone them.

o

If you are still interested I have some seeds from last year or can possibly send you a small transplant.

o

Wildflowergranny,

Yes, I'm still interested. Send what you're able. I have a PayPal account and can compensate your costs. Either or both would be greatly appreciated.

Advance Thanks,

Hunzo

o

Hello,

Wondering if you have any more you could spare? I would like to have some of this as well, hard to find!!!

o

anyone ever come up with seeds for this plant? I would love to have some to make a nice blending herb for tobacco

o

I'd like to purchase some seeds and or plants. My family were old-time harvesters of deer tongue. Sold to traveling salesmen. Good for tobacco blend, allergies, and fever. Have Pay Pal. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here