Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry Relatives

Posted by NikolaiRazumihin CA (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 17:48

Hello all,

First time posting here. I have a question about the blueberry plant, specifically about its history. I have seen it claimed on a few sites that the blueberry is estimated to be at least 13,000 years old, yet on none of these sites have I seen any references or evidence to support this claim. For one thing, it seems as though the plant would be much older than this.

I am wondering whether any of the experts here might know about the blueberry plant history, earlier relatives, and/or might be able to point me to some credible sources of information regarding it. Can anyone help?

Thanks for reading.

Nikolai

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry Relatives

I'd say you are correct-the plant from which modern cultivated varieities sprang would indeed be far older than 13000 yrs. Could it be that what you saw was an estimate of the time this plant has been in cultivation? That would at least make sense.

+oM

o
RE: Blueberry Relatives

Maybe you will find this piece by Rutgers University of interest:
http://www.njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/jersey-blues.asp

or this one by the U.S. Highbush Blueberry Council:
http://www.blueberrycouncil.org/blueberry-facts/history-of-blueberries/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here