Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
UNDERSTANDING Giant Coneflower.....

Posted by gardenlady48 z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 11 at 19:17

Hello~
I have several clumps of rudbeckia maxima in different gardens. This early summer we had some heavy storms and I found numerous stalks that fell over. I took the uprooted stalks, applied root hormone and potted them up. The original stems stayed green for a while, then turned brown, BUT at the base of one pot, new sprouts grew. Hooray!. The other pot, rooted I believe, but the original also turned brown. Is this the nature of the plant? This years stems decline at the end of the season and then new sprouts develop. I have a healthy clump that looks pretty rough every season this time of the year, then spring comes and they are beautiful? Can anyone comment on this plant's reproduction, propagation etc.?
Thank you for your time. :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: UNDERSTANDING Giant Coneflower.....

I have also noticed variability in growth patterns of this species. But then I'm farther north and it is considered to be a more southern type plant. I have about 1/2 dozen plants and I never know at the start of each season which ones will bloom and which won't. So I continue to try to germinate more each year in hope of always having some in bloom.
But they are so worth the effort, don't you think?

o

they are so worth the effort..I try to germinate the seeds every late winter....love the bluish leaves and the visual effect they have in the garden.
happy gardening!

o

Gardenlady-have you figured out what magic is required to get them to germinate?

o

I got seeds of G. Coneflower and plan to sow them. I will report my results. One question I have is this. Will they bloom in partial sun, dappled, like the ordinary coneflowers do or do they need full sun? Anyone tried that?

o

Mine have been in full sun with well drained moisture retentive soil.

o

Yes, they'll bloom in part sun-shade, but have less blooms. I deadhead the early blooms for more blooms later. They're good winter sow candidates. Be patient. Mine from seed didn't blooms this year, but will next I hope.

o

Thanks for the information. I always have to ask because anything that will perform well in part shade is something I need. I think I will do these in full sun and add them to my wintersowing seeds, a list that keeps expanding.

I heard they don't do well in very dry soil. Any comments? We are in drought conditions here and it will determine where I plant them if I'm successful with the seeds. How about heat tolerance? We had 100+ for two months this summer.

o

They are a more southern type of Rudbeckia so I would think they will prefer your place than mine. I'm thinking that all Rudbeckia prefer the more moister environment, on the edge of a swampy ground perhaps.

o

I cut off some stalks with the seed heads attached and threw them into the edge of the woods where I throw stuff to self compost. Several plants have self seeded there. I do not want them and have not watered them, but they stubbornly continue to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here