SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queenb_gw

Unknown Vine on River

queenb
10 years ago

I'll start out by saying I wish I had take a photo of it when I was there, but I totally neglected to, so I'll do my best to describe it:

1. I know it belongs to the Pea family (Fabaceae).

2. It was growing down on the dry bank of a river, in the rough sand. It obviously was tolerating the heat really well, considering it was like fried hell there!

3. The vine stem was smooth, hairless, and a purplish color. It spread out in all directions, but didn't climb anything. In my estimate, the vines had grown to about a length of 6 feet from the center of each clump.

4. The leaves almost exactly resemble Erythrina herbacea (Coral Bean), but there were no thorns. They grew directly perpendicular to the stems, all vertical. They were closed up in the heat.

5. I did not see any flowers, but the pods grew from flowering stems, much like green beans. In fact, the hairless pods resemble tiny green beans. They were small in circumference, and about 3 inches long. I do have a photo of the seeds I collected. The seeds have a gray fuzz on them. (They look brownish in the photo for some reason.)

Comment (1)

Sponsored