Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you ID these plants?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6/MA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 07 at 19:53

Hi,

I was walking around a natural area while visiting a friend and saw what looked like natives and I wondered if they are and if someone could identify them for my friend? The fourth photo is a little blurry, it was pretty windy..but it looked like burrs on the top.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you ID these plants?

Hi,
The yellow flower in the last picture is Oenothera biennis, evening primrose, a native that can be found in most states.
Louise

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri plants

o

Pics 1 and 2 look like Desmodium Canadense AKA Showy/Canada Tick Trefoil. It is a native and pretty easy to grow.

o

Thank you both..looks like the only one left unidentified is pic #3. The 4th photo is too blurry to see. I was wondering if #3 is that invasive weed that is in all our waterways?

Thanks very much for the help. I wonder where they came up with the common name 'tick trefoil'? Do you suppose it attracts ticks?

o

Tick Trefoil is so named because the seed attach themselves to almost anything or anyone that brushes against the seed pods. Also called Beggar-ticks & Beggar-lice. A walk through a field of them, when the seed are ripe, can be very annoying, as your socks and pant legs will be covered with seed, each having to be picked off individually.
It is a valuable plant for wildlife, as the link below explains.
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Tick Trefoil

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 15:38

# 3 could very well be "that invasive weed". Compare it to purple loosestrife, lythrum salicaria.

Here is a link that might be useful: purple loosestrife

o

Sorry, it took so long to reply, I don't think I always get notification from GW of a response in my inbox.

Razorback...thanks very much for that link. I think you are completely correct that it is Tick Trefoil. Thanks for Identifying it for me and the link was very helpful.

carrie...I was thinking that might be the infamous purple loosestrife. Too bad it is getting a foothold there. I hope they will get it out of there before it takes over.

Thanks for the links...
:-)
pm2

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here