Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dandelions gone to seed.

Posted by ruebee Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 07 at 20:46

I am asking an odd question. I don't want to get rid of the dandelions I want them, gone to seed, and I need to find them or buy them in October in Pennsylvania. Reason. My neice is getting married in Oct 2008 and she saw a picture of a lovely little vase that had one dandelion, gone to seed, in the vase. In front of the vase there is a card that says wish. She wanted to place a few around the cocktail hour room. She always loved to blow and make wishes as a child and thought it would be cute at the wedding. I thought it would be a great idea and make for some great wedding shots. Where to get these dandelions in Oct in PA is the problem. Any suggestions......

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dandelions gone to seed.

What you want will not work. Sorry to be so blunt but think of carrying in a dandelion puff. The first wind from a passing person will destroy what you are trying to give her. May I suggest that you find a dandelion puff in acrylic and present as part of the cocktail hour telling that with the gift you wish her the joy of the dandelion puff. That way when things go rough she can take it out and think of the joy they shared. that day.

Yes I do get wishy-washy at times.

o

The Common Dandelion is Taraxacum officinale and seedheads ripen in May.
You won't get much sympathy on this forum for this weed. It was introduced from Europe probably in hay or bedding for livestock.
Why not consider a native plant, would Common Milkweed work?
Sam

o

Dandelions often rebloom in the fall, so there will be seed heads sometime before the wedding, but I am not sure if they will be ready in October. I suspect there will be, but I have never paid close attention to exactly when they bloom here in PA in the fall. If they are in season there will be enough of them that almost anywhere you are you could find wild ones and pick them. However, I agree with maifleur that they would be very hard to handle. Perhaps you could manage to get a small number into the reception area intact, but I doubt they would last long.

Good Luck!

o

I agree that finding dandelions gone to seed for a specific date in the fall and transporting them intact would be a nearly impossible task.

How about other "wish" themed objects: glittery stars on a wand? Cleaned and boiled chicken wishbones spray painted in the wedding colours? "magic rings" (dollar store trinkets), coins and a table fountain? Genie lamps or bottles?

Here is a link that might be useful: Make a Wish!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here