Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native Vines / Climbers

Posted by Scbnymph z5 Clifton Park, NY (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 20:56

OK, I have a wooden fence that stands about 6ft tall and 15ft long which extends out from the house and ends at nothing. The fence is shaded all morning and then gets no more than 4 hours of sun in the afternoon before falling into the shade of my neighbours tree

I would like to grow a vine along it but am stuck with what to choose. I obviously don't want anything that is going to get out of control and start smothering the shrubs and plants along the fence

I have been looking at American Bittersweet & Virgin's Bower but if I am understanding correctly they can be quite invasive?? I have also been looking at the non-native Akebia Vine

Comments...suggestions...alternatives??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native Vines / Climbers

I grow both virgins bower and 5 leaved akeba. I would call the clematis agressive and the akeba an out and out thug.

Most vines are agressive, but the akeba is REALLY agressive. It leaps a 5' sidewalk in its attempt to strangle my cherry tree and I have to agressively prune it every 3-4 weeks. It also spreads on the ground.

o

Trumpet honeysuckle is a well-behaved native vine with beautiful flowers (favored by by hummingbirds) and semi-evergreen foliage. I grow it on a trellis, but with a little training it can be grown on most fences. You might need to add some raised rails if it is solid wood planking.

Here is a link that might be useful: trumpet honeysuckle

o

Apcohrs.....Thanks for your comments about the vines, they both sound horrendous! LOL!!! I now have images of an Akebia Vine with barred teeth grabbing for your Cherry Tree!

John.....Thanks for the recommendation of Trumpet Honeysuckle, it sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for. I didn't even bother searching for Honeysuckles because I had heard that they are all super invasive, obviously I was wrong

o

Akbia will take over a yard and it tunnels up to 3' deep through the ground to pop up in unexpected places. Prior owners of this house planted one and I am going on 6 years of attempting to eradicate it. It strangles or grows over everything. DO NOT PLANT AKEBIA!

Nice, generally well behaved but enthusiastic natives include Lonicera sempervirens, our native honeysuckle (attracts hummingbirds and butterflies); trumpet creeper, Campsis radicans (does need to be kept in check but can serve as a great groundcover; attracts hummers); virgin's bower, Clematis virginiana (attracts small butterflies and pollinators); Dutchman's pipe, Aristolochia spp. (larval host for the threatened pipevine swallowtail butterfly, very cool weird flowers); virginia creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia (birds love the berries and pollinators love the small flowers); Kentucky wisteria, Wisteria machrostachya (like the Asian spp. but not aggressive) and there are others but I'm tired. I have all of the above in my yard and I like them all. I'm especially fond of the Aristolochia for covering things up.

o

Second the recommendations for Lonicera sempervirens and the native wisterias!

I grow and love the virgins bower, trumpet creeper and virginia creeper, but all three are ahem, vigorous. Siting is everything.

o

What about Bignonia capreolata or cross vine?

o

That was the one whose name I couldn't remember because I was so tired... :)

o

Is anyone else getting inserted advertising links on this post? In the very first post by scbnymph, the first time I entered it, the word 'plants' in "start smothering the shrubs and plants along the fence" was underlined. When I clicked I got an ad for flowers. The next time I entered this same post the word 'shrubs' was underlined, leading to a different ad. I just want to know if I have a virus, or is gardenweb doing it. I hope this isn't a new gardenweb policy. I really want to read links if the poster puts them up, but I hate to be tricked into ads

o

Flowerkitty, yes this happens on this post and others (apparently at random). This is apparently a new way for gardenweb to showcase some ads. It is not done by the original poster.

o

ArborBluffGirl.....thank you for the recommendation, it looks very simmilar to Trumpet Vine (I think that the one I remember!). I am worried that it may be a little too aggressive for the small space that I have, how do you find it??

As for the advertising.....Its not me I promise! I have to say tho' that I don't get any of these random ad links

o

Aren't the underlined links a pain? good grief...shrubs, perennials, lawn, I can't even think of them all...lol..I'm sure all that I just typed will now be double underlined. I've also noticed sometimes it's there, sometimes its not. I emailed them about the annoying lines. It appears like we (the posters) are endorsing the "product"!

I too was wondering about the cross vine? I had one growing natural on my lot while living in TN, it was pretty cool. Will it do alright on an arbor?

o

My cross vine is on a small trellis and would like more room - it definitely would grow to 20' if it could. It also tends to get windburned in the winter and looks fairly scruffy come spring - if I were planting it again, I'd give it room to grow and more protection from winter weather.

o

i didn't know there was a native wisteria!

o

Scnymph, My crossvine was not in enough sun so it has not done much. I've since potted it up and am going to relocate it this fall. I too was concerned about it taking over like it's relative, the trumpet vine, however I have not found anything that indicates it is nearly as invasive. I've searched on GW and on Google and there is nothing to indicate it will come up through brick or show up a distance away. Most info says it is fairly easy to manage given it's basic needs are met which are copious amounts of sun, a decent support system (tree/trellis/fence) and space to do it's thing.

o

Claire, some people's definition of "native" is native to the US. In case you define it as native to your state I wanted to let you know I don't think cross-vine is native to either New York where you are, or New Jersey where I am. (I researched it before I planted some this spring). I'm putting the link I got this information from below.

The same website's page for Lonicera sempervirens shows that as native to both NY and NJ in case that effects your decision. I like the Lonicera sempervirens I planted so far. Will like it even more once it flowers for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center/Bignonia capreolata

o

ArborBluffGirl.....Thanks for your details re. the Crossvine. I actually quite like the look of it so it might be a choice between that and the Honeysuckle! However, in the end it will probably come down to which is the least rampant! LOL!!!

Loris.....I am only just "discovering" the benefits of native plantings so am not to religious whether its native to the State or country! I am (unintentionally) looking at plants that are native to the State but there are also so many things that aren't! Oh the decisions!!! LOL!

I have to admitt that I am leaning towards the Honeysuckle as I have always loved the thought of them but always thought they were SUPER invasive so have stayed clear!

o

The Japanese honeysuckle are super invasive - in some areas around me, bush honeysuckles are about the only shrubs you see. I also have the vining kind everywhere and have been attempting to eradicate it for going on six years! The native Lonicera sempervirens is beautifully behaved and so much more attractive. Just be careful to get the sempervirens species type, and not a hybrid or Japanese variety.

o

• Posted by j0eg 6 (NJ) (My Page) on
    Fri, May 19, 06 at 13:42

My vote goes to the native honeysuckles (Lonicera sempervirens). You can get varieties in red/yellow/gold. Very nice, fragrant, with a nice growing habit. Quick but not too agressive. They do tend to grow up through shrubs which can be annoying...

I noticed mention of virginia creeper, wouldn't recommend it. Very, very aggresive and will get out of control.

o

There are also other native Clematis. I grow one called blue jasmine (C. crispa) and it is not aggressive at all. Better yet, it's fragrant. There are lots of other nifty native vines too, like purple passionflower (Passiflora incarnata) which looks great on a fence, or groundnut (Apios americana) which also has fragrant flowers (and tubers you can eat). Speaking of peas, there are lots of other native peas like butterfly pea (Clitoria sp.) which have large pink or lavender flowers (never tried it up a fence but makes an excellent groundcover). OR, if you like bleeding heart, then there is actually a native climbing one (but the scientific name escapes me right now).

Good luck!

o

since this is an old chain, hoping someone will answer this ...
i am super interested in the lonicera to grow on a pergola. but am afraid it won't twine around the posts, as they may be too big. has anyone grew lonicera on a pergola before?

o

Run wire from the base of the pergola to a spot where you want the vine to grow. You can anchor the wire with a rock at the base of the pergola. The wire will be barely visible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here