Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cypripedium parviflorum

Posted by leeflea 7a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 22:11

A few yrs. ago, I ran across a stand of about 20 C. parviflorum and was thirlled as when I had first noticed them from a distance, I thought they were daffodils. When I trekked to them, my heart almost stopped. They are growing on a moss banked natural spring which doesn't freeze in winter. I was so thrilled, I phone an orchid friend of mind and she put me on notice to NOT mention the location as there are thieves for these plants. Same with the ginseng.
With the C parviflroum, I do nothing to them as I think they are perfectly adapted to where they are and each years a couple new clumps form.
Another terrestrial orchid which intrigues me is the Spiranthes which grows in the yard where the soil is hard, clay but they therive. I've pics. of them and will try to post.
Has anyone else any cyps. growing? Leeflea.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cypripedium parviflorum

You are so lucky Leeflea to have a natural stand of native Cyps on your property. Definitely keep the location to yourself.
Wish I could grow cyps outside in the yard but not possible as I live in Coastal California. But I am growing seedlings of Cypripedium californicum that I have to vernalize every winter in order for them to do well. And growing them in pots lets me give them the best water I can. Reverse osmosis water, not the tap water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Goggle images of C. californicum

o
RE: Cypripedium parviflorum

There are large stands of these cyps in Door County Wisconsin as well as the Cedarburg Bog. I grow cyps in buried pots in my garden. To find out information on growing cyps in the home garden check out Spangle Creek labs who grow cyps in a lab and sell small ones they also have tons of info. For full sized cyps to buy for your garden and info on growing them go to Vermont Lady Slipper. I have been growing them for many years with out a problem. I put a pond liner drill holes in the bottom, dig your hole and line with pea gravel under. Fill the liner with sand,bark chips and perlite the plant the cyps in the mix. Throw a little osmocote on in spring, cover late fall. Mine have spread ( not from the seed they need fungus for that) but do collect the seed pods and spread them where they grow in the wild. And deer love to eat the flowers. Cyps need good dranage or they will rot and most fertilyzers can burn them so only use osmocote in spring and no more. They thrive on neglect once established. The small ones are tough to get established but if your looking for a challenge they can be fun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here