Return to the Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why won't my clethra bloom already?!

Posted by garden4wildlife z8 GA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 05 at 23:31

I have a 4 foot tall Clethra alnifolia in a 5 gallon pot. It's been in that pot since March (I'm waiting to plant it when it gets cooler - I didn't plant it when I first bought it, and shortly thereafter found out I would be moving in summer, so it's just stayed in the pot). The soil it's in is Miracle Grow moisture control. It's getting mostly shade in the morning and indirect sun in the afternoon.

In early July, it put out around 2 dozen stems with many buds on each...then it just stopped. It's been probably 6 weeks now, and the buds have not opened, have not changed size, and have not even yellowed/fallen off which is what I would expect if there was some kind of problem. In the past few days, they've started drooping but they're still the same green color they've been all along and they don't look withered or dried up at all. So what is going on here? Is it normal for Clethra to take so long to open? Why are the buds beginning to droop? This is my first Clethra so I don't know what to expect, and I'm fretting over my new plant - I was really looking forward to seeing it (and smelling it) in bloom!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why won't my clethra bloom already?!

I don't know if they are taking longer than normal to bloom, but if the Miracle grow soil is rich in nitrogen, it will have lush growth but not blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here