SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dazzz_gw

Need Idea For A Steep Slope

Dazzz
11 years ago

Hello All,

I have a decent size slope in my backyard and am in need of ideas of what to do with it. Up until now, it was filled primarily with weeds and brush which has since been cleared. There's also 5 large pines two of which were recently taken down leaving the stumps and decent size roots. 70% of the slope gets full sun.

I now need no/low maintenance ideas as to what to do with that space (approx 500 square feet). The soil would be impossible to til and no way can I pull up all the roots left behind when we cleared the brush. We did use RoundUp sparingly. To compound matters, the previous owners had laid down black landscaping cloth which is covered by pine needles and some soil - a lot of it has pulled up and clearly became ineffective against weeds and brush. Other areas of the hill have tall fescue grass which is impossble to mow.

Some ideas I came up with are tall grasses of some sort, bamboo although I'm afraid it would become too invasive, vinca or wildflowers. Truthfully, I'd like to just be able to throw some kind of seed up there, water it daily and then let it grow wild. I'm worried though as to how to control the weeds before whatever I plant takes root. It's almost Fall now so I'm not so concerned until Spring comes around.

What's the solution?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?