SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Natives to stabilize and cover steep slope(pic included)

greenhaven
13 years ago

Howdy!

I hope this is not a redundant post, but I did do a search and did not find anything very helpful.

Location: north-central Illinois, very dry and steep slope, facing north but catches a little sun (more towards the bottom, naturally.)

I have a client that has a steep slope overtaken by invasives and trees that block the view. She cleared the slope and cut back the trees, then I planted 5 Hypericum calmianum and 3 Rhus aromatica 'LoGro.' Of course this year we had record flooding of the river and the shrubs all went underwater for almost two weeks. :/

She wants to stabilize the bank, provide food and shelter for wildlife, NOT block the view, and NOT use any chemicals to control the aggressive natives and non-natives. She has particular pressure from yellow passion vines, black raspberries, and wild grape. At the top, up in the yard, crown vetch is the monster we are battling.

Who can offer some help and suggestions? The biggest logistical issues are controlling the vines while avoiding erosion and establishing appropriate plant material.

In the photo the slope to the left of the deck (while facing the slope)will have stairs leading from the top to the bottom.

{{gwi:1066679}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored